- Phenol:Chloroform (1:1)
- Add an equal volume of buffer-saturated phenol:chloroform (1:1) to the
- Mix well. Most DNA solution can be vortexed for 10 sec except for high
molecular weight DNA which should be gently rocked. Spin in a microfuge
for 3 min.
- Carefully move the aqueous layer to a new tube, being careful to avoid the
- Steps 1 to 3 can be repeated until an interface is no longer visible.
- To remove traces of phenol, add an equal volume of chloroform to the
- Spin in a microfuge for 3 minutes.
- Remove aqueous layer to new tube.
- Ethanol precipitate the DNA.